Saturday, March 3, 2007

This is what I get for hiring non-union labor

So, you know my really cheap in-house mail opener? The one who is not quite three years old?

When we got all those envelopes on Friday (seven! seven envelopes!) he got a little, shall we say, enthusiastic. He opened each of them, one by one, under supervision, and I carefully put each square back in its envelope with whatever accompanying note. Then I put them on a shelf.

This morning, I discovered that he had opened them all. Again. Along with two envelopes from the day before. And stacked all the squares neatly on my dresser, with all the [identifying] packaging materials and notes dumped on the floor.

So now I'm trying to figure out whose is whose. I think it goes like this:

Diana: diagonal garter square in purple and white (Araucania?)
Pat: Noro cabled square
Michele: handspun alpaca with vertical ribs in the middle
Angie: two (two!) Trekking XXL squares
Anna: green openwork cables
Wendy: dark purple garter in what looks like Manos

This leaves me with a totally unidentified white Aran square (that one I know came without a return address, so I can't blame the mail opener) and a striped square knit from the center out. That one looks like half the stripes are handspun and the other half are commercially spun Aran-weight purple yarn.

Sigh. It occurred to me while trying to sort the mess out that probably Sarah would be able to pick out who knit what just like your second grade teacher could identify all the homework by the handwriting. Still, I'd like to get it right!

Right now I have 22 squares in hand, and I know of 2 more coming. If I get just one surprise, I'll be at 25!

2 comments:

Diana Troldahl said...

yes, mine is the purple and white. Its Colorjoy Tip Toe sock yarn in Lilac Flammegarn, knit double stranded.

tracy_a said...

striped square in mine - (Tracy A)