Thursday, March 22, 2007

Second Square


I sent a second square last Monday after touching base with our listmom the week before. This one is just a garter-stitch diagonal square, because I could just cast on and knit to fit. Unfortunately I ran out of yarn halfway across (I forgot how much yarn garter can slurp up) and so I did my famous semi-random yarn blending thing and it looks good with a second yarn on the second half with a bit of striping in the middle.

Fortunately, I'd already been doing some random stripes where I knit a very fine thick/thin handspun strand along with the main yarn. I think I spun this when I barely knew how to spin and it was definitely the first wool roving I ever dyed. It is a bit pinkish-purple and a bit bluish-purple, fairly pastel, and that worked really well to unify the two yarns. The first half (top right in photo) is WoolPak of New Zeeland 14 ply and the second half is Nashua Creative Focus wool/alpaca (left over from my first square). The WoolPak is dark blue-purple and the Nashua is a little lighter and more on the pink side of purple than the other. It also is a singles which reflects light a lot more than the darker yarn which is a multiple-ply yarn.

I expect that the square has "landed" safely by now and our listmom is no doubt very busy sewing together. Just in case she gets one more than needed, she has permission to hold my second one out. I already got one in and that's fine with me.

2 comments:

uberimma said...

It hasn't come yet, but I hope it does soon! I have the second-to-last square but can't attach that till I get yours, because then I'd have two squares with centered cables on top of each other.

Maybe tomorrow...?

uberimma said...

It came!!