Friday, March 9, 2007

My square

I never posted information on my square, which you can see in posts below. It's dark, sort of spiral looking, and labeled with a green star-shaped tag.

The yarn is Pomfret, a retired sport weight from Brunswick. It's left over from my very first sweater (which means it's been in my stash for about 10 years), through which Sarah held my hand the entire time. I forget the color name, but it's, you know, purple. In fact, Sarah had finished a sweater in the very same yarn just before I knit mine. Now that I think of it, I may have even bought the yarn from her.

The pattern is from the first Great American Afghan, designed by Joan Schrouder (Knitter's Spring 1996). It's knit from the center, with 4 increases every round instead of 8 increases every other round. The increases are always in the same place instead of mirrored, and this gives the 'square' it's spiral vortex-like look. I swear it will look less wonky once you get it in place. I knit it with two strands held together, as I wanted to give it a bit more structural integrity.

Terri

1 comment:

uberimma said...

It doesn't look wonky at all! I've already sewn it into a strip. I'm going to have a seaming fest tonight and take pictures tomorrow--it's supposed to be sunny. So far I've seamed together 3 strips of 6.