
I ripped out about 1/3 of the square I'd done with the wonky gauge and reknit it. Miraculously it turned out well this time (on the same needles as before).
Because I was working a repeat that did not turn out even for a 12" length, I bound off so that it would look symmetrical and then I put a single crochet on the top and bottom to make it the right size. The edges look 12" exactly (well, as exactly as knitting can be when blocking without wires). I will shake it around a bit now that it's dry and decide if I need any more crochet top and bottom, I may need something as small as a chain stitch if I need another 1/4" but it may be OK. It was OK when I put it down wet on the sweater dryer last night, but dry fabric is not as forgiving.
I had started a second square but ran out of my knit-along yarn. Boo Hoo. No more of that yarn to be had (it was handspun) so I'm going to have to rip it out and start again with just plain solid commercial yarn. I may do a garter diagonal square so I can make it measure properly as I knit. These days I am really enjoying the texture and warmth of garter fabric. Maybe I can find some laceweight mohair in my stash as a knit-along to make the color more interesting.
It looks like I may not get this square into the mail until Wednesday but it is done!
No comments:
Post a Comment