Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Welcome!

Welcome, participants in the great Warm Up Sarah 2007 Project!

(If you're wondering about the weird blog title, well... we wouldn't want Sarah to get suspicious, would we?)

This is the blog for participants, which means access is restricted to those who are planning on making an afghan square. Sarah, of course, doesn't have access, but she will get an invite when she gets the blanket. Please post your plans, progress, whatever, along with pictures if you have them--that way she will get the retroactive pleasure of watching the afghan grow.

Ground rules for the project are as follows:

1. Please knit a 12" x 12" afghan square. Any gauge, and any material that is compatible with wool is fine. The wool need not be superwash; if anyone is capable of washing wool, it's Sarah! Purple is encouraged.

2. Please attach a tag to your square, so Sarah knows who made which square.

3. Feel free to make more than one square.

4. Please, oh please, block your square to size before you send it.

5. If possible, try to do a pattern incorporating something you learned from Sarah.

6. When you're done, please send your square to me (uberimma) for assembly. If you're reading this, you should already have my address; if not, please email me at uberimma@gmail.com.

7. Deadline is March 1, 2007.

Let the squaring begin!

7 comments:

Ewe-niss said...

Good morning! Just wanted to thank you for coming up with this idea. I have been checking out all sorts of design options for my square for Sarah. The first thing is to hit the LYS and find the perfect yarn for this. I do not have any in my stash that are worthy of Sarah!

Anonymous said...

Thanks again for organizing this - I will attempt to make a cabled sqaure using charts (these are two things Sarah has taight me) - I'm struggling a little with getting started as I am not a whiz kid when it comes to calculating how many stitches extra to cast on to make my 9inch sqaure pattern a 12 incher.

Ewe-niss said...

Hi, Reddogknits! - a start to figuring of turning 9" into 12"...
Take the # of stiches in your 9" square and divide by 3. Then take this number and add to your original # of stiches.

Example: 9" square is 45 stitches. 45/3=15
45+15=60

Try starting with 60 stitches for the 12" square. This would give you a place to start. You can always increase/decrease needle size or add/remove extra straight stiches along the sides.

I hope this wasn't too confusing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks ewe-niss!!!

Ewe-niss said...

Weight question... I bought a beautiful yarn over the weekend. Now today when I look at it, it is still beautiful - but I am wondering if it is too light. It is a DK weight. Are people using worsted or DK?

Ewe-niss said...

Nevermind my previous post. I now know my yarn, pretty as it is - is too light. Plus it feels too scratchy. I guess it was the seduction in the LYS in Marquette that got to me.
:-)

I will try a shop nearer to home. Still may hear the siren call though.

KathyK said...

Are we supposed to incorporate some kind of border stitch on all four sides? most of the squares pattern i've seen have them.
i'm thinking of a cabled square too.