Tuesday, January 30, 2007
The Spit Thing and Other Tales
How do you pick a pattern that is worthy of my knitting sensai Sarah??? NOT EASY!! I had lofty goals of picking out these very intricate cable and Celtic patterns that would make her mouth drop in amazement and invite me to me a master knitter. Alas, two newborn boys prevented this fantasy happening (read - using them as an excuse because I still am a cable novice).
This is a simple stitch pattern adapted from a dishcloth design. However, I did cable the cables without a cable needle - something she taught me in her Aran class but something I wasn't confident enough to try - this was my first attempt. I chose wool because of that whole spit and felt the yarn ends together thing that she taught me in her Entrelac class (don't worry Sarah, no DNA on this square - only had to use one skein). I also used purple - not my fav color but like Sarah, she knits for others and causes without always thinking of what she likes.
Sarah also taught me how to read charts - a skill that has really enabled me to try patterns that would have made me run in terror in the past. She has taught me confidence in my knitting - that is something that really is hard to teach or bring out in anyone.
I'm glad that I could be part of something to give to Sarah as she has given me so much.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Veddy veddy nice! Way to go :-)
In about 20 years you won't be able to use the 'twin boys' excuse... AND this square needs no excuse. Good job!
Very nice - and very quickly done! I ripped mine out yesterday because I underestimated the amount of cable-related shrinkage that would occur. It lost about 5 inches of width when I got to the major cabled section. Good thing it's only Feb. 2!
Post a Comment